It’s time to get some Oz-some insights into what’s in store for this year’s San Diego County Fair! Members of the media were invited to skip down the yellow brick road to the Media Sneak Peek event where we got the first glimpse of what’s planned for the 2019 San Diego County Fair presented by Albertsons|Vons.
Get ready to skip down the yellow brick road to the most Oz-some Fair yet! The 2019 San Diego County Fair, presented by Albertsons|Vons, will explore the magical world inspired by L. Frank Baum’s classic tale, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” This year’s Fair, which runs May 31-July 4 (closed on Mondays and Tuesdays in June), will give visitors the chance to leave the ordinary world behind the minute they step into this Wizard of Oz wonderland. They’ll learn to channel their inner courage in a whirlwind of exciting carnival rides, expand their brains by getting immersed in creative and educational exhibits and warm their hearts by creating lasting memories with their friends and family members. The San Diego County Fair is the largest annual event in San Diego County, and one of the top five fairs in the United States and Canada, drawing approximately 1.6 million visitors annually. For more information, visit sdfair.com.
WHAT: 2019 San Diego County Fair – “Oz-some”
WHEN: The Fair runs Friday, May 31 through Thursday, July 4 (27-day season). Closed Mondays and Tuesdays in June
WHERE: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar
ADMISSION: $20 adults | Kids 6-12 and seniors 62+, $14
- Save 20% on adult admission when you purchase Fair tickets at Albertsons and Vons grocery stores (save $4 on adult admission and $1 on kids/senior admission.
- “Kids Days” feature FREE admission on all Fridays in June for kids 12 and under.
- “College Day,” Friday June 7, features $10 Fair admission with student ID (at the Fairgrounds box office on the day-of only).
- The best deal of all: For just $32, you’ll get unlimited entry to the Fair with the “Best Pass Ever!”
- OzSome Crunch Roll – Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls: Cinnamon roll with frosting and Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
- Deep-fried crème brule and buffalo chicken chimichanga – Chicken Charlie’s
- Flying Monkey Caramel Corn – Kettle Corn: Caramel corn with banana chips
- Hot Cheetos Potato – Spud Shack
- Ruby Red Lemonade – Hot Dog on a Stick
- Candy Funnel Cake – Funnel Cake Express
- Yellow Brick Smoothie and Ruby Red Smoothie – Rainbow Treat
- Fried Bacon Plantains – Bacon a Fair
- Blizzard of Oz Frozen Hot Chocolate – Crutchees
- Emerald City Pizza Balls – Linda’s Pizza
- Scarecrow Dog – Pink’s Hot Dogs
CORONA GRANDSTAND STAGE LINEUP:
The San Diego County Fair is promising an “Oz-some” lineup of musical and comedy acts at the Del Mar Fairgrounds this summer, as musicians such as Pitbull, Toby Keith, Smokey Robinson, Lindsey Stirling and Creedence Clearwater Revisited prepare to take the stage. Comedians Jim Gaffigan, Jeff Dunham, and the guys of truTV’s Impractical Jokers are also set to light up the stands with laughter at this year’s county fair.
Shows start at 7:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Go to sdfair.com for ticket prices and more information. All tickets purchased online include admission to the San Diego County Fair. If you already have Fair admission, call the box office at (858) 792-4252 and request a concert seat only.
- May 31: Justin Moore | Tickets
- June 1: Jim Gaffigan | Tickets
- June 2: La Adictiva | Tickets
- June 5: Banda El Recodo | Tickets
- June 6: The Fab Four | Tickets
- June 7: Jeff Dunham | Tickets
- June 9: Christian Nodal | Tickets
- June 12: Jake Owen | Tickets
- June 13: Creedence Clearwater Revisited | Tickets
- June 14: Tody Keith | Tickets
- June 15: Smokey Robinson | Tickets
- June 16: Mariachi Sol de México | Tickets
- June 19: Simple Plan | Tickets
- June 20: truTV Impractical Jokers | Tickets
- June 21: AJR | Tickets
- June 22: Gospel Festival featuring The Clark Sisters | Tickets
- June 13: Grupo Intocable | Tickets
- June 27 Lindsey Stirling | Tickets
- June 28: Air Supply | Tickets
- June 29: Pitbull | Tickets
- June 30: Los Tigres del Norte | Tickets
- July 1: KC and the Sunshine Band | Tickets
- July 2: Trace Adkins | Tickets
- July 4: Brad Upton | Tickets
- Get ready to skip down the yellow brick road to our most Oz-some Fair yet! This year’s theme exhibit will explore the magical world inspired by L. Frank Baum’s classic tale “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” and the pop culture phenomenon it evoked.
- You’ll get to take a peek behind the scenes of the 1939 MGM film and see original props on display from the private collections of USC and the Wamego Oz Museum including a Munchkin jacket that was worn during the film.
- Click your heels together three times and add your wish to our chalk mural that’s inspired by the wishes of the characters in the story: heart, courage, brain and home. Then make sure you don’t miss the daily “Ask the Wizard” show, where you’ll get to interact with the Wizard of Oz himself!
- You’ll find 11 Oz-some selfie spots in the theme exhibit that’ll make you the talk of social media – so be sure to skip down the yellow brick road and click your heels together in star fashion for the camera! You might even see a few familiar characters walking around to pose with.
- If you think you’re a trivia wizard, join in our daily contests and game shows to test your knowledge of all things Oz. And on weekend nights, join us for a wicked good time with our Flying Monkey Electronic DJ where you’re sure to discover that “There’s no place like the San Diego County Fair!”
- There’s a new ride in town: The Endeavour – it’s an open-air suspended passenger vehicle that sends Fairgoers flying 60 feet through the air at 25 miles per hour!
- Now it’s even easier for thrill seekers to enjoy as many rides and games as they can handle this summer. We’re bringing back Pay One Price Ride Days every Wednesday and Thursday in June. Fairgoers can purchase a wristband for $38 and enjoy unlimited Fun Zone of Kids Zone rides for the day.
- New this year is the “Ride FastPass” system. For $20, the pass allows fair-goers to use a special “FastPass” lane. A limited amount of the passes will be issued per day and can only be purchased at the Fair.
- The Fair is also introducing a FunPass to streamline the ride pass process on phones or with a card. The FunPass can be pre- or re-loaded with ride and game tickets that are then scanned and deducted from the card or app. If all the credits aren’t used in one day, they can be saved for the next time.
GETTING THERE & PARKING
If you’re heading to the fair, plan to park on-site or off-site ahead of time. Real-time parking updates can also be found on AM 1680 during the fair’s run.
- General parking: $17
- Preferred parking: $27
On-site parking lots will open at 9 a.m. (two hours before fair gates open) and close an hour after the fair closes. Tram service will run continuously from fairgrounds lots.
Public transportation can also be taken on NCTD lines of The Coaster, The Sprinter, or Breeze Route 408; the MTS bus system or trolley Blue, Orange, and Green lines; and via Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner.
Photography Credits: The Noel Studios
© 2019 GeekRockTV. All rights reserved. Texts, Videos & Images Copyrighted.